Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Win At Law School The Aussie Way


http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2012/08/27/299463-r-lee-ermey.jpg

Every year students parade for a mountain of speeches welcoming them to law school. Many law students either in the US,Canada or Australia can come to class unprepared. Law school in the English speaking world is tough and can leave many questions on how to tackle the experience. Law school is bootcamp for students wanting to become lawyers. It is not for the faint of heart. Many students go in thinking they are going to do things like they did as undergrad. Nothing could be further from the truth. Law school is war I mean total war on your patience and sanity.  The professor won't pander or wine about you. You are expected to give your best and are a number when your test book is passed out. Think of your law school professors like Marine Drill Sargent R. Lee Ermey that will call on you for answer to their question. Humiliation is the sport that professors are good at. But, you can stand it, you will come out on top.

The  good tools for law school can make the difference in winning the war at law school. It is like having an edge. It can put you ahead of the game. Briefing is tough to type it out manually. The same goes for typing essay paper that  In the practice of law, I am going to be using the perfect tool to tackle it. I have discover a software package that I really to handle the note taking, briefing and essay writing. I am going use Dragon Speak Legal Edition to handle it. I know this tools can even the odds and allow me to sail through. It is made for lawyers practicing in the field and study of law.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oqQgj0xTL.jpg
Dragon Speak Legal Edition

This would allow me to put the words on the paper without proof read constantly. I highly recommend this one in helping to win at law school and in your legal career. Now, when it comes to note taking in class and you need permission record the lecture of your professor.Always,Always ask because some professors may not like you recording them. If you do get your professor's permission, there are products that can facilitate it better. I will always ask no matter what and won't record the lecture if they say no. It is called a bond of trust on the honor system. The kind of recording devices that I am using are flash drives with built in recording device. This is the kind I used and works really well.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Lxoy73TsL.jpg
8 GB USB drive with built-in recording device




If you want a straight out digital recorder, I recommend one that will work with Dragon Speak. I have been testing it and works really well.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gidGsEn1L.jpg
2 GB Digital Voice Recorder with 2 Built-In Microphones to work with Dragon Naturally Speaking 




 
If you are going buy the voice recorder, even though already comes with Dragon Speak I would buy the legal edition for any legal citations and footnotes for essay and briefs since the legal edition of Dragon Speak handles it a lot better. Also, I would recommend buying a good headset to go with the dragon speak if you do not have one.  The important thing to remember is the electrial outlets in Australia are different than in the US. They are lower voltage and watt rating and wired differently. this is very important if you have a laptop that has plug built with North American electrical outlet. I  will recommend and show what an adapter that can be used for Australia. Here it is:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31haFmWwHwL.jpg
Australia Electrical Outlet Adapter
From my own experience in Australia, I was kind of shock and didn't know about the electrical outlets and was in for shock when I first arrived in Australia. No pun intended. When I saw the electrical outlet for the first time. It was a shock and felt confusing bit. Once, you figure it and the rest can be easier. I will post things on how to deal with culture shock of coming to Australia and how to fit in like a Aussie later on. I will put out a brief template that will be free and anyone can use for their own use at law school. It is a synthesis between Aussie law and American law for case briefing purposes. These are just the tools that I am using and tested time and time again.

 If you like the information that has been presented, bookmark this page and the Law Ranger in your favorites and send link to it to everyone you know. Blog about it on Facebook, Twitter it  to friends and family. That is the way it unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment