Sunday, 10 November 2013

The Texas Twang in Oz

Aussie Slang and Texas Twang 

 

http://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/aussie-slang1.jpg

 For anyone that has been to Australia, they know that the meaning of word and slang is different than in the US. Every part of Australia the accent is different slightly. If you been there a while, you will notice it. Here are some of the phrase that you can pick up if you ever decide to go to Australia.


Put a snag on the barbie.  It means in American English. Put a sausage on the grill.

Togs is bathing suit. 

Bloke means gentleman


Sheila means lady

Barbie is Barbeque Grill.

Truckie is Trucker

Bikie is Biker

Breakie is Breakfast

Billabong is Waterhole

Bugger all is Nothing

No Worries  means Not a Problem.

Telley is Television.

I mean those the phrase that I know from my own experience. I would not ever do an Aussie accent. Because it would sound incredibly stupid. People can hear my own Texas accent. Yes, I do  have the Texas Drawl. I never got rid of it. I always to try be formal in business conversations. I always try to be careful not using Texas slang that I grew up hearing. In informal situations, it does slip out. I sound like  the gentlemen  where he says, "Can you please pass the jelly"in informal situations like Palaner All Fruit commercial.



But, Listening to Aussie do the blues is even better especially growing around the Austin Music scene.It is humor pure and simple.


You get a real appreciation for Aussie accent by being around it.It is what makes the experience worth it. It is priceless like Mastercard says.








Telly -  Television.
No worries -  Not a problem

Bugger-all -  Nothing


 

No comments:

Post a Comment